- Develop Your Plan: Create a roadmap and define your goals for implementing the DAM system. Decide whether you want to start using the DAM right away in your workflow or focus on organizing your unorganized files first. Establish clear objectives to guide your DAM implementation process.
- Access and Permissions: Determine who will have access to your digital media collection. Consider including various stakeholders such as Alumni development, professors, students, different departments, and print contractors. Define different access levels, specifying who can upload, edit, download, view data usage reports, and export content to social media platforms.
- Metadata Strategy: Identify the essential metadata fields required to locate your digital assets effectively. Strike a balance between providing enough metadata for searchability and avoiding overwhelming users with excessive fields. Decide when metadata will be added – before uploading, during the upload process, or afterward – to ensure your assets are properly tagged and easily discoverable.
- Collect Dispersed Assets: Gather all files scattered across individuals’ computers or network shares. Determine whether to organize and add metadata to the files before or after batch uploading them to the DAM. Consider the tools available in your DAM solution and discuss with your vendor if they can assist with file loading. Assess whether your current folder names can become searchable metadata within the DAM system.
- Designate a DAM Champion: Appoint a dedicated individual, such as a photographer, a member of your creative team, or the director of communications, as the DAM guru. This person will serve as the go-to resource for questions, suggestions, and ongoing support related to the DAM system.
- Training Approach: Determine your training strategy based on the needs of your organization. Decide whether the entire staff should receive training or if a train-the-trainer approach is more suitable. Ensure that everyone understands the benefits and functionalities of the DAM system and has the necessary skills to utilize it effectively.
These are just some of the critical considerations when implementing a DAM system. At MerlinOne, our team covers these topics and more with our customers as they embark on organizing their digital asset library using our Merlin DAM system.
Remember, a successful DAM implementation requires careful planning, user engagement, and ongoing support. By following these best practices, you can streamline your digital asset management processes and maximize the value of your DAM system.
Rande Anmuth Simpson
Director of Sales